Sunday, May 29, 2011

Whole-y Cow! Fractions Are Fun!

By Taryn Souders
Illustratred by Tatjana Mai-Wyss
Published in 1977

    As a reader I really enjoyed this book. The illustrations also assisted in explaining and expanding on the text. As a teacher with a math specialization this book is one I would definitely have in my classroom! Fractions are very tricky, they go against most math concepts we know. I just recently took Elementary Math Methods and learned that I actually knew very little about fractions. Yes I could do all the correct procedures to solving different equations, but conceptually I had no idea what was going on. I was unable to tell you why you did something. Thankfully I now know a lot more after that class. This book is very interactive and would be a great read aloud to a math class. You could read a few pages a day followed by a discussion on the concepts discussed and math activity pertaining to the specified concepts. Fractions can be difficult for many kids and adults alike. I feel as if bringing in another way of teaching, through a book, along with other ways could help make the concepts of fractions clearer to students.
     
 
Here is an example of to a guide I found online
 

No comments:

Post a Comment