Sunday, May 29, 2011

No Talking

By Andrew Clements
Published in 1949
    I can't say that I loved this book but it wasn't bad. It was an easy read, and good for students who like this author. I remember reading Frindle as a kid and loving it. This book is somewhat similar. The base is a fifth grade class who are pegged as the "Unhushables" for they never seem to be able to keep quiet. Until one day a bet was made and silence feel across this fifth grade class. With this new found silence many have a lot more time to think and with this new ideas emerge. Will this bet finally close the gap between the boys and the girls, or push them to do even more stunts that promote their segregation.
   Although I wouldn't use this book with my lessons or for group discussion I would have it on a suggested reading list. Or if I did have a problem within my classroom between the boys and girls I may suggest  everyone reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment