Sunday, May 29, 2011

Two Bad Pilgrims

By Kathrn Lasky
Illustrated by John Manders
Published in 
   This children's picture book is also a graphic novel. They use this type of writing to show different perspectives and time periods throughout the book. An old man is telling the story and out side the boxes the pilgrims will interrupt and it will go into their story.  Although I read that this book is for younger ages I think it could be used by a wide range. It incorporates history with humor and a lesson. While reading this book I even learned a thing or two about the pilgrim's voyage to America.
    As a teacher I am not sure if I agree with everything in this book. Some of the language I don't believe is suitable for younger ages or the topics discussed. They say words like stupid, dumb, and there is some name calling. I read "The Lorax" to kindergartners before and I think they say the word stupid and I was shocked to see how the students took this. It started with oh that's a bad word, and then went off on a crazy tangent. The subject of their bad behavior stems from kidnapping Indians and blowing things up. Which I thought was unnecessary. I would use some of the pages to read aloud to a class if I did a social studies unit on the pilgrimage to America. They could relate the story to things they have already learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment