Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Misfits

By James Howe
Published in 2003

     I enjoyed how this book was set-up. I liked how they had their forums written down and Howe did not just include this dialogue in the text but made it look different. As if we could see how Addie was writing and recording all of their discussions. This I think helped the characters come to life and seem real. Also each of these characters had something about that made them different, a "misfit" actually. Which I think everyone can relate to. Whether it be visible or not there is something about everyone I think that makes them not fit in with the rest of the crowd. Lowe picked somethings that usually makes a junior high student stick out and applied them to  the characters. Making them relatable to the reader.
     I also liked how they didn't win the election. Although they didn't get everything and change the world and thoughts of their fellow peers with one simple campaign, they did make a statement. They began a movement.This story also has its' comical light hearted moments as well, where you can't help but laugh out loud.
    I am still undecided if I would use this in my classroom. I think I may be able to find a better book to represent these issues but I am not sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment