Sunday, May 22, 2011

Bigfoot Cinderrrrrella

By Tony Johnston
Illustrated by James Warhola
Published in 1998
       Although as a child I have read many retold stories of classic fairy tales, this one was new too me. Princesses have always been the most beautiful girl in the book, but in this story beauty means having huge feet and being the most hairiest creature around. As you can see from the title of the book. It is a forest version of the classic tale. There is still the evil stepmother, and two evil step sisters,"beary" godfather and of course the infamous ball. But instead dancing the event to win the princes hand in marriage is rolling him off the log and in log rolling competition. Although I found this rendition comical I am not sure if I would select it for my students. There was some language that I would not agree with and I personally didn't enjoy how the forest creatures spoke as if they were cavemen.
       Although I was not a fan of the dialogue I really enjoyed the illustrations with the book. They incorporated a lot of green tones and I loved how the forest creatures looked. The illustrations were also very detailed. The mood of each page could be guessed just from looking at the pictures. I like this because sometimes in class you will have students look at just the cover or certain illustrations to analyze and guess what the story will be about. Just from looking at the cover I feel as if this could start a great pre-reading conversation of what the book is going to be about.

No comments:

Post a Comment