Sunday, May 29, 2011

WHAT A DAY IT WAS AT SCHOOL!

     This book is a compilation of many different poems, written from the students point of view. They all involve different activities he did throughout his school day. I as a reader really enjoyed this book. The poems were light and funny. I also liked how they all rhymed and I could relate to most of them since I am a student as well.

By Jack Prelutsky
Illustrated by Doug Cushman
Published in 2006
     As a teacher I feel like this book is a great set of poems for students to start with. They are fun and their rhyme scheme make them easy to read. When students first start being introduce to poetry I think it is good to have them read poems that relate to their lives. This poem would do just that. Also we did an acting out of the poem (I can't remember the exact name for the exercise at this moment. It was easy and fun to do with this poem. I feel like I could give this to my students and they would feel comfortable at trying their first attempts of acting and adding sound and pitch to these poems.
    With each poem their is also a very colorful illstrations. For example in one he talks about his science experiment and how he made this big green monster thing and it shows a picture of him in a messy lab with the big green monster eating his stuff. Instead of the dog eating his homework his homework ate his dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment