Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's NOT the Stork


By Robie H. Harris
Illustrated by Michael Emberly
    Where to even start with this book. My first reaction was that this is not a book I would have in my classroom. Especially if we are not in a science or health classroom were this is being openly discussed. I do think though that the book was very informational. If a parent needed suggestions on how to talk about the ever daunting "where do babies come from question" this book has the answers. I like how they are very informational and do not sugar coat anything or make up words for different body parts that may seem more appropriate. Also I particularly liked the page titled girls do this, boys do that. At first i was apprehensive since children should not fall under gender roles and stereotypes with the activities they do. The book actually had both sexes doing every activity. Like girls dance, boys do too. Although it is still somewhat of a stereotype since the girl was mentioned first but I think it is good for children to see that the activities they chose to do shouldn't be limited to whether they be a boy or girl.
   When having a discussion with other classmates though it was brought up how this book does not address where babies come from with a same sex partners, or children born a hermaphrodite. Since these things do occur everywhere I think that I should do my research and find books for all types of parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment