Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Giver

By Lois Lowry
Published in 1999

      I vaguely remember this book from when I was in school. I can not recall if I read it myself or if it was a different reading group. Either way as a reader today I really enjoyed the book. When I was reading it the book "The Handmaids Tale" popped into my mind. I remember reading that my freshman or sophomore year of college and it was also about a Utopian society. This book kept my turning the pages wanting to know more. I liked how the author would introduce certain events, but leave out important details out at times. We the readers would slowly unfold these details later as we kept reading. For example how the previous giver to be before Jonas was actually the giver's daughter. Also although this is a science fiction book, the author almost had me believing as if it was real, or at least possible. I believe this was partially because of the way he developed the characters. We felt as if we knew some of them because we knew their inner thoughts. Also the dialogue throughout the book and the way Lowry portrayed mood and tone.
      Since their is so many things going on in this book I am unsure of how I would use it in my classroom. On one hand I feel as if it is a great book to use to have the students reread and do character analysis  or find certain symbolism and other literary devices. Also it is a great book to introduce the idea of the Utopian society. Bringing up questions and debates of what is better or right. Everyone being safe and censored, or living in an imperfect but uncensored world?

   

No comments:

Post a Comment